Are you bored with your plain white bedroom or living room? Do you feel the need to add some bright, bold colors to a room in the house just to spice things up? You are on a good path: interior designers agree that we can jazz up a room with more than two or three colors and turn everything into a splash of beauty and joy.
If the thought of adding more than three colors to the same room made you cringe a little, your instincts are correct: if you don’t know how to match them, you can end up with a psychedelic-looking room that hurts your eyes and confuses your brain. Working with color is fun and versatile, but there are indeed some rules to follow. Let’s see a few of them to get you inspired for more interesting projects!
1. Mix As Many Colors as You Like on a Neutral Background
A brightly colored room can get very exhausting very fast if you don’t leave what designers call “palate cleansing” hues to rest your eyes on. If you keep a rooms’ white walls and ceiling, you can add as many colors as you want in the shape of accessories: throw pillows for couches and beds, window curtains, rugs, vases, tapestry and so on.
- One trick to keep in mind is to keep the same size scale on all colored and patterned decorative elements.
As long as you follow proportions and allow the eyes to rest on a comforting neutral background, you can add as many colors and prints you like.
- Another trick is to just add colored furniture in a neutrally colored room in case you don’t want to paint the walls or treat them with wallpaper.
2. Use as Many Colors as You Want but Keep the Same Texture/Surface
One of the main rules of multi-colored rooms is to pick a type of texture/surface and repeat it no matter how many colors you introduce to a room. For instance, if you opt for an industrial-style living room with a bar, make sure you keep all elements to the same texture. Polished wood, polished metal, polished leather and polished living room accessories can come in various colors as long as their texture is the same.
On the contrary, if you opt for a matte surface, make sure the furniture, the kitchen backdrop, and the bar countertop, curtains, vases, and decorative elements all feature a matte surface. Maintaining the same texture no matter how many colors you integrate into a design ensures that the room doesn’t look messy or chaotic.
- One trick to follow is to introduce a dominant surface/texture and then build upon it. You can achieve an industrial design with metallic finishing, a rustic one with wood finishing, a minimalist one with matte MDF and glass and so on.
3. Build on an Existent Color Scheme
A color scheme is your best friend when it comes to adding more and more colors to a room. There are plenty of color choosing mistakes in interior design that you should avoid, but if you got the perfect color scheme, you are on the right path. When you intend to add more color to your home, you don’t need to paint the walls or throw away the furniture to buy a new one. You can add splashes and spots of bright, bold colors into the existing color scheme.
- Take a look at the room and identify the main color scheme
- Progressively add new decorative elements in the same colors as the main scheme, but in brighter, bolder nuances. For instance, if you have a white/light orange color scheme, you can add bolder tangerine elements in the shape of carpets, curtains, lamps and so on.
- If you want to add even more color to this project, think about complementary colors as well. Use a color scheme designer to understand how complementary colors work together the best way possible and pick decorative elements to obtain a multi-colored, yet harmonious room.
There are plenty of original, new and surprising ways to add dozens of colors to the same room without making it look crowded or corny. Follow the main rules and be careful not to make mistakes and you will jazz up a room in no time with fabulous effects!
living room rugs Charlotte NC are usually a conversation starter in the house. They can be placed either on the floor or on top of furniture to create an interesting and colorful design.
Premium Glass lamps are a timeless home decor accessory that can add elegance and sophistication to any room. Read about the history of glass lamps, their many benefits, and some popular styles.